The use of augmented reality and geo-localized digital content "on the road", just with a smartphone or a tablet computer, is becoming more and more important (see the Gartner trend study for 2011). The digital worlds that are virtually surrounding us deliver precise information, helping us in out in a very practical way – but can do a lot more !
According to our analysis, the main problem is basically filtering the available documents and information (because there is already a lot of data out there !). Or in other words: how the search engines will present to the mobile user digital content which makes sense for them in a given context.
We believe the important things for mobile users interacting with the digital world, are the following:
– find, more than search (mobile computing follows other rules than desktop computing)
– the digital world has to adapt to the users context, and not the opposite (what you get has to make sense within your context)
– not only information and facts, but stories (the emotional and subjective aspect is very important)
– get an immersive experience (where the digital world helps "diving" in our everyday reality and not the opposite)
– and a few important keywords: fast, responsive, easy and fun !
With all those questions and concepts in mind, we develop our Memoways ecosystem to find adequate answers for mobile computing, by providing content producers with tools to manage and publish their content for this open and interactive use.
Our API's and web services can help build a smartmap like the example shown below (still under development, the current version is working mecanically but missing 70-80% of the features we would like to implement).
You can select layers of information that are linked to a territory, and dynamically aggregate social data to the displayed layer. This smartmap can also exist as a standalone iPad application: you will be able to visualize contextual content while going through a place, add some personal comments, as well as pictures or videos to the existing datasets.
Provisory (beta) visualization of the smartmap functionnalities